Thursday, November 15, 2007

FIRST FLIGHT By Deborah LoGerfo

Zarah my service dog and I recently completed our first plane ride ever when we flew on an INTERNATIONAL flight from JFK in New York to Nova Scotia, Canada.

zarah


We left JFK airport over Labor Day weekend. Something I'd consider differently if we did this again! When we entered the airport through the revolving doors, the lines of people which began at the ticket counters block our way. I've never seen the airport more crowded!

They say emotions travel down the leash, so I tried to be as casual as possible, but it was quite a scene to get through.

After navigating our way through the sea of people, we found airport agents to help us, and from that point on we had someone assigned to us to help us through security and walk us to our gate.

zarah

Even with all the training that Zarah went through, I still didn't know exactly how she would actually behave when the plane was taking off!

I worried about the noise and vibrations, the liftoff, her ears, etc. etc., but this too turned out to be a more of a test for me than for her!

Once we boarded and got to our seats, Zarah simply assumed her position at my feet, and that was it. The takeoff caused her to slide down under my seat a little bit, but she readjusted herself and actually slept on and off the rest of the way. It was difficult to imagine that this was her first flight!


One flight attendant confided to me that Zarah was better than some of their passengers!


zarah

The airline personnel in the U.S. and Canada were all wonderful to us, and I really can’t say enough about the people who went out of their way to help us.

Nova Scotia welcomed Zarah and I everywhere we went. Our gracious host, Don Bates of Doindogs Kennels, the breeder I got Zarah from, was quite impressed with all of her training- and recently sent another pup to the United States just last year. This other pup, like Zarah, was also was trained at C&G K-9 School in Uniondale, New York, but this pup’s mission was to help a woman who has MS.

zarah

Anyway, as you can imagine, it was still a great deal of hard work walking a dog through two international airports, clearing customs, riding in elevators, going in and out of ladies rooms, jumping in and out of taxi cabs, AND taking pictures along the way. However, I could not have asked for a better traveling companion…and with no baggage!!!

While in Nova Scotia, we attended a CKC Dog Show as guests, and we had this picture below taken for a newsletter.


zarah

Canadian Kennel Club Dog Show (above)



We spent six wonderful days sightseeing throughout a country that couldn’t have done more to make us feel at home everywhere we went. Even our hotel welcomed dogs. I can’t tell you how really great that makes you feel!


Zarah was remarkable. She was the most wonderful Ambassador for a Hearing Dog that anyone could ever hope for, and the two of us educated people about Hearing Dogs every step along the way of our journey together.


zarah



Zarah (above) in Nova Scotia!!!


And so that’s the story of our first trip. We’re only just beginning!

Deborah LoGerfo