Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fellow dog show person from Canada

Hi Don,

The site helped me a lot and I have checked out most of the info you have spent time providing to everyone. I live in Alberta close to Edmonton on a farm and my breed is Havanese. Our first obedience show is on the 6th and 7th of August, I'm taking two, Just got the judging schedule tonight and do I have some early mornings coming up...8:30 in the morning and we are first up with my bitch on Sunday morning. Both titled their CGN first of June and that was wonderful. I'm rather concerned about the long sits and stays with my tiny dogs in a field of possible prey drive dogs. Unlike conformation they don't list the other breeds in the class. Really nervous about my entry with my CH dogs in a Novice class but hopefully it will go well, 40 feet away with unsupervised "other dogs" is scary. Very new territory for us, wish me luck. I firmly believe that conformation winners should be health tested before breeding as you do. I also think that classes like obedience and CGN are good monitors for temperment pre breeding. I have only the two Havs and the male is neutered and they are both young dogs and half siblings. My background is 40 years of showing/breeding/training horses but I'm getting a little too old for that and the dogs are a lot easier on the body after time.


Deb